The Write Stuff

pencils all in a row
My son is taking some standardized tests this week....he LOVES taking these tests (I always did, too). The test facility asked the parents to bring snacks for the kids to share and to bring #2 pencils, so we did!

pencils
I didn't have a pencil cutter. I did have a "bachelorette party" cookie cutter...if you know what I mean...that would have worked with some slight modification. ;)

But since this was a daytime project and I didn't want to risk my son stumbling into the kitchen while I was performing surgery, I used my pick-up truck cutter instead.

Just a few chops with my handy-dandy bench scraper...voila! Pencils!
pencil cutter collage

Here's the progression into cookie pencils....
pencil collage

To make the cookies:
  • Using yellow royal icing, outline the main pencil shape with a #2 or #3 tip. (AmeriColor Egg Yellow mixed with AmeriColor Gold)pencils food coloring
  • With a #2 tip, outline the pencil tip in beige. (AmeriColor Copper)
  • Thin the yellow and beige icings (reserving some yellow) with water to make the flood icing the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottles.
  • Fill in outlines.
  • With grey icing, use a #3 tip to add the pencil detail in 2 or 3 lines. (AmeriColor Super Black)
  • With pink icing, outline the eraser with a #2 tip. (AmeriColor Deep Pink mixed with AmeriColor Chocolate Brown)
  • Thin the pink icing with water to make the consistency of syrup.
  • Cover with a damp dishtowel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a silicone spatula through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to squeeze bottle.
  • Fill in outline.
  • With a #2 tip, add the pencil detail stripes in yellow.
  • Using a #1 tip, add the "no. 2" and lead in black. (AmeriColor Super Black)
pencils no. 2 close

These would make a great teacher gift! For one more sweet teacher gift idea, click here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive