Sweet Melissa Sundays ~ Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Pie


Good morning! Actually, as I type in front of my monitor, it is night out and I have two furious cats on my hands. Even with kitty treats and an alloted amount of soft kitty food with REAL turkey, I have been given the tail. You see, both kitties received baths and had her (both are girls) nails clipped. The goodies have been scarfed and I am looked at with both ears straight back. I do not even WANT to know what this means in cat language.
I am currently sipping a well deserved Frozen Fuzzy Navel (recipe below) as I type away while being stared at. I am pretending to not notice. The pie looks right doesn't it? I see more of a tart look going on.

The Sweet Melissa Sunday's lemon blueberry buttermilk pie was chosen by Melissa of Lulu the Baker (you can find the recipe here at her blog). I read the title of the recipe several times and the title never changed. I was dreading making this pie. I am sorry Melissa for saying such a blatant statement but there IS a positive ending.



I need to add how I always have buttermilk on hand EXCEPT for now. I used the last of my buttermilk making something, I am sure of it (and no, I have not been drinking yet). I wanted to say onion rings but onion slices soak in plain milk to rid the onions of that strong bite before dipping in batter to fry. I decided to use powdered buttermilk, shown above, for the first time. I actually lost the container I bought earlier and purchased another along the way. To my shock (I really never intended on using this but thought someday there may be a buttermilk emergency) this product tastes just like real buttermilk.
I used my own flaky pastry pie crust recipe (for some reason when I use Melissa's, I end up with the melting glob in a pie plate). The lemon really stands out and tossing fresh blueberries with apricot preserves gives the berries a shiny coating. I just never thought of adding fresh, uncooked blueberries to the top of a pie before. You REALLY taste the lemon and blueberries without either flavor getting lost. My final thought (I swore I would work on typing LESS in my posts, really) is the pie tastes and looks more like a tart but maybe I am the only one with this issue. I can not wait to see everyone else's pies. Melissa at Lulu the Baker Always has amazing pictures so get your mouse over here and click HERE to check her pie out. Thank you Melissa for hosting!



Fluffy finely dry and still pretending to be indifferent.


The well deserved Frozen Fuzzy Navel:
Ingredients:
1 fresh peach with no peel. I would take out the pit too =)
3 ounces Peach Schnapps
3 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
about 2 cups of ice
Directions:
Combine ingredients and pour into blender. Process until slushy. Pour into chilled glasses (2). Serve with long handled spoons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive