Guest Post from Sweetopia : Marbling Cookies


I have *such* a treat for you guys today! This is the very first guest post on Bake at 350 and I am so, so happy to introduce you to Marian. Marian's blog is called Sweetopia and I'm not exaggerating when I say it is a cookie wonderland! I literally cried the first time I saw it. You'll love it, too! {Just WAIT until you see the little owl below!}

Thank you, Marian, for guest posting today! We are so lucky to have you here!


Hi! I'm Marian.


I'm really thrilled and honored to be here as a guest contributor for Bridget's website! Every time I visit I'm inspired by her eye-candy cookies and baked goods of all kinds! Hopefully you'll like the sweets I'm sharing today.


If you've tried cookies like these before you know how simple they are to make, and if you haven't, you're about to find out just how easy they are to create.

It's called marbling or swirling, which is basically when one or more colors of icing are applied to a base coat of icing, and then a toothpick, cake tester, pin or skewer is dragged through the icing to create a marbled or swirly effect.

Each combination of colors creates another look.


Just by changing the way you set up your lines and drag the toothpick, completely different designs emerge.

You can incorporate the swirled icing into your design, like these feathered cookie friends:




If you'd like to try the swirling effect, the most important thing for your success is the consistency of the icing. Bridget has some great points about that here, and my cookie decorating tutorial goes over some tips and the 10-second rule here.


Once you have your cookies baked and icing made, it's time to begin by piping your outline. I like to use a piping bag fitted with a coupler and #2 tip.

Fill or flood your cookie with royal icing right away. You could leave the outline to set to create a solid dam, but you'll be able to see the border when the icing dries.


Once you've filled the whole cookie in, shake it gently left to right on your work surface, to help smooth the icing out.



Add your second (or more), layers or colors of icing. Work as quickly as you can before the icing sets.


Take a toothpick, pin, skewer or dough tester (hey, whatever works!), and drag it through the icing. In this case I drew S-like shapes. The image below shows which direction I dragged the toothpick in.



Finish off the edges with dots or another design of your choice and you're done!



The hearts are made by piping dots and dragging the toothpick through the center of each dot.




Let your cookies dry, package and ribbon.



Simple, easy, fun and impressive!


If you have any questions or comments come visit me over at Sweetopia for more information or to contact me directly.


A big thanks to Bridget, cookie decorator extraordinaire, for having me as her guest blogger!


Happy marbling!

xo,

Marian

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive