Pony Party


I know, I know, the Kentucky Derby is over. I still had to post them because...

a. I promised a few twitter friends that I would (I could never deny my twitter friends!), and
b. don't you think they would be cute for a birthday party?


My dad belongs to a group that holds a Kentucky Derby fundraiser each year. (You can read more about it in this post...it's a great event.) This is the 3rd year (or 4th?) they've ordered cookies for the event...and for the week prior to the Derby, our house is covered in horsies.


To make some ponies of your very own:


  • In royal icing, outline the "saddle" in the color of your choice with a #2 tip.
  • With another #2 tip, outline the shape of the horse in brown (AmeriColor Chocolate Brown).
  • Thin a contrasting color royal icing and the brown to the consistency of maple syrup; let sit several minutes covered with a damp dish towel. (Details on how to thin royal icing are here.)
  • Run a rubber spatula gently through the icing to pop any large air bubbles and transfer to a squeeze bottle.

  • Fill in the saddle area, using a toothpick to guide into corners.
  • Fill in the horse in brown, using a toothpick to guide into corners.
  • Let sit at least one hour.

{You can see I've lost my natural light from the pictures...sometimes decorating cookies is an all day, or multi day, project.}
  • With a #2 tip, add the detailing in the contrasting color and go back over the outline of the saddle.
  • With a #2 tip, add the mane, eye, tail and hooves to the horse.

  • Let dry overnight.

Giddy up!



There is a new video over at University of Cookie! Renee of Kudos Kookies shows the basics of PAINTING on cookies. It is very cool and a whole new way to decorate cookies. Be sure to check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive