A Black Rose Martini

Mixology has just as many avenues as a person saying he or she loves to cook . . . or . . . bake. Throw in types of ingredients, cultures, ideas, what is new and fresh, comfort, or maybe you are just trying to catch up to the "new tastes" of last year; okay, I am getting overwhelmed trying to prove to everyone else how diverse a word can be. Is there below amateur for mixology? That is where my name would sit. I am the person debating over the latest vodka on the market. Oh, I have my favorites, Grey Goose and Skky vodka. Then the eye wanders over to the flavored vodka sections and I want one of everything (I already have more then I care to admit too). Sigh, I want to try mixing herbs with berries to make a simple syrup and add this to a vodka, martini style. Why am I letting a simple thought get so complicated?

Here in Washington, blackberries are ripe around August and September. The thorny vines are known as a weed and evasive. The berry at peek ripeness is simply wonderful! I am also the person playing catch-up with flavor fusing. Tonight, rosemary and blackberry are being seeped in a sugar syrup before straining. The drink:


Black Rose Martini

Blackberry-Rosemary Simple Syrup:

3/4 cup blackberries (keep a couple of berries for floating in the martini glass)

1/4 cup rosemary

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

Directions:

Bring the blackberries, rosemary, sugar and water to a boil. Mash the berries slightly, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain out the solids and keep the syrup in the refrigerator in a sealed container.


Completing Black Rose Martini

2 parts vodka

1 part blackberry-rosemary simple syrup

1/2 part soda water


Directions:

Fill shaker half full of ice. Add vodka, simple syrup and soda water, shake for 5 seconds and strain into martini glass. Float a sprig of rosemary and (1) blackberry.


A perfect mix of sweet with rosemary and slight bite of vodka.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive