Miss Earth 2011 Contestant - MISS IRELAND EARTH 2011 - Rachelle Liggett's Photo & Profile/Interview

Birth Name: Rachelle Liggett
Birth Date: (age 21)
Birth Place: Dublin
Occupation:
Height: 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)
Measurements: 86-63-84
Hair color:
Eye color:
Title(s):
Major Competition(s):
Miss Earth 2011


BIOGRAPHY:

Information to be posted

INTERVIEW:

What environmental project will you create to promote the protection of Mother Earth and why?

As a future teacher it is my hope to impact children from a young age about the importance of conserving and caring for the environment. I wish to provide them with the knowledge to make informed decisions and lifestyle choices throughout their lives, in order to make a positive impact on Earth. I want mankind to realise that making a small change, can make a big difference. Therefore I will be making a tour of the schools in Ireland and promoting the message of reduce, reuse and recycle through workshops, setting up eco-teams and gardening clubs within the schools.

What makes you proud of the country you are representing, and what can you promote about your country?

I am very proud of my Irish roots and to be representing 'The land of Saints and Scholars'. Ireland has always been considered a land of mystical and often magical happenings. It is a country steeped in myths and legends that live in harmony beside the modern world of today. Most travelers describe Ireland as a stunning land with unsurpassed beauty and one which possesses a history that goes back so far only the fairy folk remember its beginnings.

In Ireland the love for the great outdoors is apparent everywhere you go. Fishing in the beautiful lakes, rivers and ocean attracts both visitors and natives. There is golfing, hiking, cycling, water sports of all types and all things equestrian that lure the lover of the outdoors. Travellers with adventure in mind will also find countless opportunities for boating, kayaking, and rock climbing. The natural wonders of Ireland provide the perfect background for all outdoor pursuits. There are mountains to climb, rivers to swim, navigate and fish and emerald hills that alone make the scenery here worth a visit. Rugged coastlines promise hidden coves and pebbly, pristine beaches. Botanists will appreciate the literally hundreds of different types of flora and fauna which cover the hills, cliffs and valleys of Ireland, while the naturalist in the group can explore the habitats of native plant and animal life.

I am proud to be representing Ireland as it is steeped in culture, art and festivals. Most notable of these is the annual St. Patrick's Day festival which is celebrated to the four corners of the world where are people where once scattered.

For a comparatively small country, Ireland has made a disproportionate contribution to world literature. Particularly famous examples of such works are those of James Joyce, Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift, Oscar Wilde and Ireland's four winners of the Nobel Prize for Literature; William Butler Yeats, George Bernard Shaw, Samuel Beckett and Seamus Heaney. Three of the four Nobel prize winners were born in Dublin making it the birthplace of more Nobel literary laureates than any other city in the world.

The hard working, warm hearted Irish people are loved throughout the world and no matter where I am in it I am always proud to say that I come from the Emerald Isle – land made up of forty shades of green.

Describe your childhood/growing years.

My childhood was sadly ripped apart when at only 10 years old I was diagnosed with an acute form of Leukaemia. Up until then life had been quite care free and innocent. I think I would have described myself as a bit of a tom boy, who loved animals, nature and the outdoors. I loved to play in the green fields behind my family home and came home in the evening covered in grass and dirt stains, but I always had a smile on my face and contentedness in my heart. Unfortunately this all changed when I hospitalized for two years as I under-went bouts of chemotherapy. When I was at home I was always too ill to play and often watched from the window as my friends played outside. Cancer strips you of all sense of femininity. I remember losing my hair several times and gaining a lot of weight with medication. But even through all of this I always had the love and support of my family and their kindness and dedication to saving my life is something I will never forget from those years.

What lessons did you learn from your childhood/growing years?

Although being sick was a tough, dark time in my life, I look back on it now and I realise that it was a defining period in my life. It made me a stronger, determined and motivated person who appreciates everyday given to her and lives life to the fullest. I grab all of life's opportunities with both hands. Although I missed two years of school I have always been determined never to let it affect my education, so I worked hard day and night to catch up and became a straight A student who placed her school top in the UK and Ireland in Biology.

I also developed a deep faith in God and I know he saved my life so I can make a positive impact on this earth. I hope that one day I will be an inspiration to others, especially sick and vulnerable children. That is why I have and always will dedicate my life to them in the hope that I can support and encourage them to be the best person they can be in life. I hope to give them the knowledge and values needed to achieve their goals and full potential to make a positive contribution in the world.

What is your most memorable moment?

The most memorable moment in my life was when I was crowned Miss Earth Ireland. Just 10 years ago I was fighting for my life and stripped of all sense of femininity, so to be representing my country on the glamourous world stage at Miss Earth is something that I never thought would be possible for me. When they called my name out as the winner I was in total shock, all my dreams had come true in that one moment and I will never forget that feeling of pride and happiness. It showed me that no matter how hopeless, or bleak life can sometimes seem, if you have the strength to believe in your dreams they really can come true.

What is your environmental advocacy?

My own environmental advocacy is RE-forestation. This is the opposite of deforestation. For every tree that is chopped down, a new tree should be planted in its place. To also save our trees, we must reduce, reuse and recycle paper products. The less paper we use, the more trees and forests we can save.


PHOTO GALLERY:



Special thanks to Wikipedia & www.pinoyexchange.com/ & www.missearth.tv

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.missearth.tv/
http://en.wikipedia.org/
http://ocean-blu.blogspot.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive