DIY Vanilla Extract . . . Works for Me Wednesday

 
Christmas is less than 3 months away.  Honest.  I counted it out on my fingers twice just to be sure.

I really like making homemade gifts for friends and neighbors at Christmastime...and I like to mix it up a bit and not give only decorated cookies.

Last year, I tried vanilla extract.


The cool thing is....you can start NOW!  Make up several jars and start checking off that Christmas list.

To make Homemade Vanilla Extract, you're going to need:


vanilla beans (I bought mine from Beanilla)


...and vodka.


Split the vanilla beans, leaving one end intact. (I had to cut mine in half to fit.) Place in bottles.  These are from The Container Store....aren't they cute?


Top with vodka.  A good ratio is 1 vanilla bean per 1/3 cup of vodka.

Store in a cool, dark place for at least 6 weeks before using.  The longer it sits, the darker the extract will become.
 
This is what it looks like after being tucked away for 2-3 months.

Refill with vodka and fresh vanilla beans as needed.


It's that easy!  Really! And it works for me

{psst....you can find the bottles here...I used the 3.3 ounce.}

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive