Fruit and French Toast Combined

New Years Morning Breakfast

Upside-Down Baked Apple French Toast

Top of the World Pancakes

(from Disneyland's Mickey's Gourmet Cookbook p.67- been making since 6-08-2003)

Ham slices

Eggs Over-Easy

Homemade Tapioca

My first breakfast of the New Year 2008! How cool is that? Breakfast is the most important part of the day, right? My father, at age 61, is still a professional bodybuilder along with being a personal weight trainer and this has been his motto with all 4 of us children while growing up. He still calls me and asks if I am eating my breakfast. What is funny is that none of us kids have ever really liked breakfast and I usually end up with a mental block on what to fix so I try to make menus ahead of time for it. The problem is that leaving at 4:30 a.m. for work doesn't leave to much time for breakfast. Hence, my *new* New Years resolution. . .make enjoyable and flavorful food ahead of time for breakfast on the run! Hhhmmm, so far I have homemade granola on my list but I am so wanting suggestions. . .so if anyone would like to suggest something. . .hugs and please do!
I just have to write about the Upside-Down Baked Apple French Toast because this is sooo good! I found the recipe on Food Network website a long time ago and I just now got around to making it. I am glad I did because the flavor is phenomenal *but* their cooking time is all messed up so I am putting in what worked for me. According to the Food Network, you are sauting Granny Smith Apples that are in 3/4" chunks in 30 seconds (until tender) on the stovetop. I don't know what stove they are using but mine isn't jet propelled. The apples and bananas with brown sugar and maple syrup is like taking a bite into a freshly baked pie.
Recipe is as follows:
Ingredients-
4 tart apples, such as McIntosh or Granny Smith
2 T. fresh Lemon Juice
3 large, ripe Bananas
1/2 t. Ground Cinnamon
3 T. Unsalted Butter
1/2 c. (firmly packed) Light Brown Sugar
1 T. Maple Syrup
2 large Eggs
1/2 c. Milk
1 t. Vanilla Extract
4 to 5 slices of Challah Bread (1-inch thick) *I used Sourdough Bread
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Peel, core and cut each apple into about 1/4 inch wedges. Place the apple wedges in a large mixing bowl and toss gently with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Peel the bananas and slice them crosswise into 3/4-inch thick slices. Add bananas to the apples and toss to coat evenly with lemon juice. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the fruits and toss well to combine.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fruit and saute until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and cook until the sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
Pour the contents into a lightly buttered, non-reactive, 9-inch round baking dish. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in the milk and vanilla. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture just to moisten (both sides), then place them over the fruit in a single layer in the pan, making sure to cover the fruit entirely. Pour any leftover egg mexture over the bread. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes. **(This can be prepared up to this point in advance, covered and refrigerated overnight.)**
Bake the French Toast, uncovered until the top is golden, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Place a serving tray over the pan and CAREFULLY turn them over to unmold the French Toast. Spoon any syrup or fruit left in the pan over the bread and serve at once. =D


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive